4 eating apples (we're using Granny Smith)
100g of porridge oats
2 tbsp of pumpkin seeds (or sunflower)
4 tbsp of flaked almonds (or chopped)
100g of dried apricots, roughly chopped
½ tsp of mixed spice
200ml of semi-skimmed milk
100g of frozen or fresh blueberries
2 tbsp of honey
fresh berries to serve (optional if in season e.g. raspberries)
1. Wash the apples, then coarsely grate them into a large mixing bowl with their skins as well. (If you grate the apple side on to the grater, then stop when you reach the core, turn it through 90 degrees and do the same. Repeat twice more until all the grated apple is in the bowl and you’re left holding the core.)
2. Weigh all the other ingredients into the same bowl, including the blueberries, but leaving some fresh berries aside for the following morning.
3. Stir all the ingredients together to thoroughly mix, then cover the bowl with Clingfilm and place into the fridge to rest for at least an hour or ideally overnight so the oats fully soften, the dried fruit swells and all the flavours mingle.
4. Give the Bircher muesli a final stir, then divide mixture between 4 breakfast bowls and top with the optional seasonal berries.
5. Leave the honey on the table for people to drizzle over a little extra to adjust to their personal taste if they prefer.