1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 courgette, finely chopped
100g smoked bacon lardons
400g can of butter beans
400g can of chopped tomatoes
70g small pasta
1 large garlic clove, crushed
3 tbsp olive oil (plus extra to serve)
½ tsp dried mixed herbs
1.2 litre vegetable stock
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a low-medium heat and gently fry the onion, celery, carrot, courgette and smoked bacon for ten minutes.
2. Add the garlic and mixed herbs, and cook for one minute.
3. Tip in the beans, chopped tomatoes, purée, stock and bay leaf. Season to taste.
4. Bring to the simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Add the pasta and cook for a further 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Recipe by Fabio, chef at Jersey social enterprise, Beresford Street Kitchen as featured in the Jersey Evening Post, Family Meals for a Fiver series, 25 February 2023
*Prices correct at time of print