Stephen MacNiven's Baked egg, beetroot and mozzarella frittata served with potato rosti
1 packet of cooked beetroot
1 Mozzarella ball
Parsley (optional for garnish)
1 tsp flour
¼ tsp baking powder
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Method for the frittata
1. Whisk eggs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
2. Grate the mozzarella ball.
3. Add half of the mozzarella to your egg mix.
4. Dice the cooked beetroot into small chunks.
5. Grease with butter or oil an oven proof dish or pan.
6. Spread evenly the beetroot and pour over your egg mix.
7. Sprinkle over the remaining mozzarella.
8. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180ºc.
9. Cook for around 15 minutes, until the edges are set and the top is lightly brown.
Method for the rostis
1. Peel the potatoes then grate them potato into a bowl
2. Squeeze any excess starchy liquid from the potato.
3. Add in one egg whisked and mix.
4. Add in flour and baking powder, mix all together.
5. Season with salt and pepper and mix.
6. Drizzle olive oil onto frying pan heat on medium heat.
7. Spoon the mixture into 4 rostis, flatten with the back of a spoon into disc shapes.
8. Cook for roughly 5-6 minutes on either side or until golden brown.
9. Remove from pan and place onto a baking tray with kitchen towel to drain any excess oil.
Recipe by Stephen MacNiven, chef at Radisson Blu Hotel, as featured in the Jersey Evening Post, Family Meals for a Fiver series, 4 March 2023
*Prices correct at time of print