1 pack of sausages
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
300g long grain rice
3 cloves of garlic, crushed to a pulp
2 dessert spoons of mild curry powder
Salt and pepper for seasoning
1 cup of frozen garden peas
1. Heat two tablespoons of vegetable oil in a medium sized frying pan and cook the sausages until brown. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
2. In the same oil, gently cook the onion without colouring until soft. Add some garlic, curry powder and rice and cook for a couple more minutes stiring constantly to coat all of the grains of rice.
3. At the same time, boil a kettle of freshly drawn water and dissolve two stock cubes (if available) in 700ml of boiling water.
4. Add the water to the pan of rice and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and turn the heat down to low. Simmer slowly for five miniutes.
5. Carefully slice the sausages and add to the pan alongside the peas if available. Stir, replace the cover and cook for another six to eight minutes unitl all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is almost cooked.
6. Remove from the heat and leave to stand for five more minutes. Carefully remove the lid and fluff up the rice grains with a fork and season. Serve in big bowls.
Recipe by Christian Gott, An Island Chef as featured in the Jersey Evening Post, Family Meals for a Fiver series, 21 January 2023
*Prices correct at time of print