1 Large butternut squash
1 Half of an onion
Chicken stock cubes (2 cubes)
1. Cut the butternut squash in half and scoop the seeds out.
2. Dice half of the onion and grate the carrot, place on top.
3. Season with salt and pepper and put on a tray which can go in the oven and cover.
4. Put in the oven until it is cooked, (takes about 1.5 hours at 190°c), you can put it in the oven when you are using it to cook another meal.
5. Once cooked and cooled down, scoop the flesh out with the onions and carrot into a pan and add 900ml of the chicken stock (if you have vegetable stock cubes, you can use these instead)
6. Use a hand blender to blend it altogether and reheat slowly.
7. While the soup is reheating, slice the petit pain and the mozzarella into four slices and melt the mozzarella on the bread, either under the grill or in the oven.
8. Serve the soup in four bowls and top it with the cheesy crouton.
Recipe by Sarah Copp, Executive chef at local charity, Caring Cooks of Jersey as featured in the Jersey Evening Post, Family Meals for a Fiver series, 11 February 2023
*Prices correct at time of print