1 bulb of Fennel
230g Tinned chopped tomatoes
Fennel seeds (optional)
1. Finely chop the fennel and sweat in a saucepan in a good amount of olive oil until it is soft and translucent
2. Remove the skin from the sausage and add the sausage meat to the fennel. Continue to cook.
3. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt, black pepper, sugar, smoked paprika and a balsamic vinegar.
4. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the gnocchi and boil for two minutes. Strain and add to the sauce.
5. To serve, spoon the gnocchi into warmed bowls, sprinkle with fennel seeds and finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
Recipe by Will Holland, head chef at the Atlantic Hotel as featured in the Jersey Evening Post, Family Meals for a Fiver series, 4 February 2023